As most of you know, I left Minnesota a while ago and handle business from different places here in America, but also when I am in Europe or other places around the world in which I have traveled, especially more recently. Last week, however, was an experience that I had never encountered, at least not to the extent that it was this past weekend. For the record, I have been in the eye of a hurricane, been shaken out of bed during an earthquake and huddled into the basement of a restaurant in which I worked decades ago back in Minnesota as a tornado ripped through parts of the Twin Cities. I had never, experienced to the extent it happened, a flashflood.
I don’t recommend any of the above, and certainly not hanging around for the event to happen. When I am in the states these days, I live about 2 blocks off the Atlantic Ocean here in New Hampshire from which I conduct business and live modestly until next month I am married and ultimately become an expat later this year. Don’t worry, the business is and still will be in operation. Besides, being in the heart of the action to arrange amazing adventures for valued clientele is important, but back to literally weathering the storm. I had been told that this area was prone to flooding and I have seen sections of roads closed due to marsh waters loosely connected via streams etc., to the ocean.
Last week, we had first a snowstorm, as the temperatures dropped, not uncommon in New England and certainly nothing to be concerned about especially since I had lived some 35 years in Minnesota, but what followed a day later was a rainstorm and now where for the water to go, but not enough to cause major issues. Then there was reprieve, but since the weather warmed, all that snow melted and with the rain, the water levels rose. Again, no real issues and able to get around. The third time, however, was not a charm in this case, as a third weather event happened, this past Saturday.
I had been out and drove in the rain and again, not an issue as I met a former co-worker breakfast and spent a nice time catching up. After about an hour or so, I had to leave, as I had a business call with a friend about his kid’s forthcoming trip to Japan and again, the drive back to the hovel, was without incident. I got back to my place parked and went inside in time to get on the conference call. Nothing seemed out of order when I cam back, the place where I parked was clear of anything out of the ordinary and took care of business. Now I must tell you that there were roadblocks into town, but since I lived there, the police let me through, but there was also a high tide warning. Having not experienced this before, I took heed and felt safe back in my place.
What I did not know is what was about to happen. After about 45 minutes, and the end of my conference call, I went outside to see my vehicle partially submerged in water, at first not much, but the water was flowing. Not rapidly, but at a good pace and when all was said and done, the water rose to bottom of the door line and seemed to hold there. Even if I had tried to move it earlier to higher ground, there would have been a good chance (and I have a small SUV), of stalling which would have been worse, so I left it only to watch the water rise and rise. As I said, it reached the bottom the door line. Fortunately, there is a lip there on the inside, which is higher, and the seals were good, so no water got it. By midafternoon and the high tide receding, so did the water and by the evening, it was as if it had never happened.
I did go out and was able to start up the vehicle no problem which was certainly a relief. I also drove it yesterday for several miles to test everything out and everything checked out. I was told by my neighbor that in the 13 years he and his family had lived there that they had never seen it get this high. He had parked on higher ground and walked back, so he had no issues. The news also noted that this was the highest the waters had ever reached. I have to say that I could have had my conference call on my cell phone without having had to go back to my little hovel, but of course, I did. The reality is that I was safe in my place and in the end, the vehicle survived. I have seen events like this in other places that were much worse, and I did see posted pictures online of the weather event in this area and some homes were totally cut off.
I must admit I was very lucky in this case and if in the next few months when I am still stateside, I will take mother nature more seriously, not that I didn’t and have in past events. Since I was let through by the police to return, I understood it to be “safe”. So, in the end of this past week’s experience with nature, I truly weathered the storm and to be honest, I don’t want to have to experience this again. I have too many amazing things in life to look forward to in the very near future, so as I move forward with my life with Rosa, I have considered (and has been suggested by some), to change the name of the blog.
Weathering the Storm whether literally or figuratively is part of life and something I have always done, but perhaps, it is time for a more optimistic blog title. I suspect the content will stay the same, as this is my writing style, so if you have any ideas for a new name, I am more than happy to entertain them or in the end, it stays the same; we shall see. As always, thank you so much for your support of our little world. Rosa and I truly appreciate it. Stay happy, healthy, and safe as this new year progresses and as always, your shared comments and thoughts are most welcome!!!
Share the knowledge
Weathering the Storm with the Wandering Puffin